Wednesday, March 23, 2016

The Treblemakers called....they said "Please Don't Stop The Music."

Case in Point:



     I'm sorry, but I love the movie "Pitch Perfect."  It's ridiculous.  It's hilarious.  It's just plain fun.   I equally enjoyed Pitch Perfect II, as well.   I'm not sure if it's because I love silly things, or if it's because I love music, or a combination of both.  I'm going with both.  (It's also fair to note I have a very unhealthy obsession with the movie Rock Of Ages.)

      Some people may not know this, but I was a DJ for 15 years.   That's a really long time.  I'm also currently a front man for a cover band (just a few old farts that like to go out and rock your socks off.  You can find us here: https://www.facebook.com/tuneduppgh/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel.  Give us a like!)  In the time I was a DJ, I've worked in bars, some night clubs, and have done my share of weddings and parties.  I've never really charged a whole lot as I was mainly doing it for fun, and I never felt that it was a job for me.  It was just something I enjoyed doing.  I have very fond memories of my first gig at McCoy's place in Moon Township, our local watering hole.   The beach parties there came to mind.  We did that two years in a row where we hauled in two tons of sand to cover the back floor of the bar.
The Sand Man cometh....
...and so do the people.....
 
....who don't stay to help us clean up.

     People loved it.  It was just something fun and different.

     From there I moved to the city and worked at the Boardwalk in places like Tequila Willies, Level Lounge, and even the outside deck.  I've also been able to work the deck outside for a summer at The Matrix.   These places are no longer around.  I swear it's not my fault.   There is on place that I truly found a home as a DJ.   It's a place I can always call home: Jekyl and Hyde down on the South Side.

     Jekyl and Hyde is Pittsburgh's only Halloween themed bar.  They have a great selection of beers and micro brews, as well as Halloween themed shots.   Everyone there from my fellow DJs (Matt Swogger, aka DJ Luke Duke, DJ Don Deleo, and DJ Steve Spin all of BMP DJs (www.bpmdeejays.com) and Greg Russell who took over for me,) to the bartenders Dave, Liz, and Carmela (who you can now find at Carmella's Plates and Pints also on the South Side,) to the owner Mike Alberter (a Hodgkins Lymphoma survivor - another reason why I picked the Lemieux Foundation to run for.)  We had nothing but fun every night we worked together (except that time Mike forgot I had a new car and my car ended up getting towed.  Thanks for picking that up by the way!)  The halloween parties were always epic, but they would not have been without the music to go along with it.  Good times were truly had by all.   It's because of placed like Jekyl and Hyde that I have met so many people as a DJ.  Some became acquaintances.  Some have become life long friends.   This can happen while being a runner, too.

DJ Don Deleo, myself, and the boss man Mike on
one of Jekyl's bar crawls for the Lymphoma/Leukemia society 
Needless to day, I did not have a career as an 80's rap icon
The DJ is.....wait for it......horsing around.
Celebrating my last NYE as a DJ at Jekyl with my buddy Mike.


So it looks like I confused Lion-O, Lord of the
Thundercats...with a clown..... (pre-Halloween Crowd.)
     When running, I like to run with music.  In fact, a lot of people do.   Some feel that it helps keep them going.  Some don't like the noise and enjoy the quiet.  They "run naked" metaphorically speaking.  At times, especially during a race, it's recommended not to wear headphones or listen to music.   Some may wonder why this is.  Generally when you have something in your ears the sounds around you can be muted.   You can't really hear someone coming up behind you.  Heck, you can't even hear something coming up behind you (like traffic for example, or maybe a bear?)  But, we still choose to do it.   You don't have to have the music up that loud, but when your jam comes on....it's hard not to turn it up to 11.

     As a DJ, I had come up with an idea to make this killer mix when I ran my first half marathon in 2013.  By killer, I mean a large variety of hair band and rock tunes to keep me going.  I've used this same mix now four times.   I've used it for my daily runs, a lot.  It's so familiar to me now that I can tell how far I've run just based on what song is playing.   I even find myself at times running in cadence with the music.   When a song like "Kick Start My Heart" by Motley Crue, or "Rocket" by Def Leppard comes on in the mix, I find it very hard not to pick up the pace.   However, this mix has gotten a little old for me.  Sure the songs are old, but I'm finding myself needing some more motivation on these long runs.  This mix is only 2 hours long, and clearly I'm now running a lot longer than that.

    I have my first 20 mile run this coming Saturday.  I'm looking at this as the ultimate test of my abilities.   When I first signed up to run the full marathon, I had a hard time wrapping my head around what I've done.   Now, with the marathon being 39 days away, that doesn't seem like such a crazy thing anymore.   Also, with 20 miles only 3 days away,  my frame of mind has went from, "how am I going to do this?" to "I can do this!"   I know I can.  But I'm not going to do it without some music to keep my feet going.

     What's on my playlist?   People that know me can probably figure that out.   You damn well know there are some Bon Jovi songs on that list.   There will ALWAYS (pun intended) be Bon Jovi on my phone (and in my car.)
Just for you ladies.  Feel free to steal this pic if you haven't already.
I know you really want to steal it.


     Even with the majority of my set list being hair bands and other rock, I do like a variety.   Songs like "Shut Up And Dance," "Uptown Funk" to name a few newer songs are just fun to have for running.  But I can also take it back to the 90s new jack swing era with "Poison," and "Gettin' Funky," as well as some of the smooth sounds of Motown ("Rock With You" is also on there.)

(I beg of you to watch this video too....  https://youtu.be/3XOqUotSQnU )

     You can also bet your bottom dollar that "Eye Of The Tiger" and other songs from the Rocky movies are on my set list.

     Since I do have the equipment, I can mix this all together so I've got non-stop music.   It's as if I'm at the club but I'm not.  I don't have a drink in my hand.  I'm not covered in other people's cigarette smoke.  (I'm also 43 - a club is not happening anymore anyway.)   But what I do have are my headphones, my shoes, and my motivation.

     I would actually love to know what other people have on their playlist.  What keeps them going?  What song really gets them pumped up?  No matter how tired they may be, what song comes on at the right time, and they automatically perk up and tell themselves, "I got this.  Nothing will stand in my way.  Nothing can.   It's just me, and the finish line now.  Nothing else."

     There will always be that certain something that makes you feel that way.   Maybe it's not even a song.  Maybe it's just someone right behind you, or even next to you.  They can see that maybe you are slipping, or slowing down.  Maybe instead of music you hear a person.  Maybe that person will come right up to you, and in your ear they say, "EYE OF THE TIGER ROCK! EYE OF THE TIGER!"

    And that, right there, is all you needed.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.


You got this.
Dibbs on the girl with the sign!


I got this.




WE GOT THIS!















And it's with, or without music.

Until next time, keep on running.



Sinceriously Yours,

Chuck Hull, The Running Jedi




One more clip for the road?




PS:  Don't forget, there is still time to donate to our fundraising efforts for the Mario Lemieux Foundation!  We are almost half way to our goal.  The goal is $1501.00 and we currently sit at $675.00 raised.   Once the goal is met, we will be able to raffle off a signed Mario Lemieux Jersey!  Click below to donate!


No comments:

Post a Comment