Monday, April 17, 2017

Easter weekend....the heat has risen.

Photo credit: Adrienne Tolentino Essey
   
Photo Credit: Coach Suzanne
     This past Saturday's run was a tough one.  Not just for me, but for everyone.  You can prepare for a lot of things when it comes to running, but one factor that is always unpredictable is the weather.   Sure, we look at the forecast a week in advance and even every day leading up to a race or a big training run, but the weather can change at any moment.  When I looked at the weather first thing Saturday morning, the high temperature was supposed to be somewhere in the mid 60s.  By the time we were done running, it was almost in the mid 70s.  The sun was our greatest threat.

     The course preview run had started from Market Square and was hosted by Steel City Road Runners group.   Pro Bike And Run as well as Fleet Feet Sports were also assisting in the days festivities.  A few of us arrived early as we had 22 miles on our training schedules, and the course preview had us running 20.  We knocked those two miles out quickly, and anxiously awaited the big run to begin.  When we took off for those two miles, some of the registered runners were beginning to arrive, but by the time we got back, Market Square was flooded with over 700 excited runners ready to go.  There was a buzz in the air, too.  Everyone was brimming with excitement, and with the blue sky above, we couldn't have asked for a better day.

Photo Credit: Coach Suzanne
     Then, we were all off and running (literally.)

     By the time we got to the West End Bridge, everything was going great.  All the runners in our pace group (over 80 strong) were chatty, smiling, and having a fun time.   We could feel the sun beaming down on us, but the clouds had started to roll in and the temperatures remained cool.  By our 7th mile, a few of us decided we were treating ourselves to the Milkshake Factory when we were done.   I mean, why wouldn't we?  I couldn't think of a better way to start the tapering.  By mile 11, the clouds had moved on, and the sun was shining bright.  The temperatures were also climbing.

Photo Credit: Coach Suzanne
     You could tell that the heat was starting to take it's toll on a lot of us.   We went from talking about milk shakes, to trying to figure out how far we had until the next water station.  I know for me, at about mile 12, I needed to cool off in a bad way.  I desperately wanted to dump water over my head, but since I was wearing my camel back I had to wait until we reached the water stop.  I knew it was close, but it seemed like it more than miles ahead.  When we arrived, I couldn't help but dump enough water on my head as well as on my wrists at it's pressure points.   Man did that feel good.  It as just what I needed as I was able to power through the next few miles with the group.  The sun was relentless however, and there was no shade to be had anywhere.  The heat was heavily affecting me.

     I took about a 2 or 3 block break and walked just a bit, but kept telling myself I only had a few miles to go.  If I could, I should power through to the next aid station.   I was a little bit behind the pace group at this point, but I started to gain a little ground running down Liberty Avenue.  By the time I got to the final water stop, I was back with the group and ready to cool off some more.   It was getting hotter and I could tell I was pretty exhausted.   I told myself the end was near and pretty soon 20 miles would be in the books.  (I kept forgetting that I had already run 2 miles before we began.)  I poured more water on my head, down my back, on my wrists, pretty much anywhere that would cool me off.   What I really wanted to do was make a break for it and jump in the river.  I'm pretty sure I was not alone in that thinking.

Photo Credit: Diana Cannon
     At this point in the day and only three more miles to go, our pace group was being led by a woman named Alyssa Cammarata Chance.   I don't know her personally but what I do know is that this woman is an absolute beast and nothing short of a machine.  She helped a lot of runners get through the final stretches of the morning.  Full of energy, she looked at the group and asked everyone if they were ready to go.  OK, she didn't really ask; she more or less cheered it out.  With everyone answering the same way, she belted out a "let's go" followed by about 40/50 cheers of excitement.  Me?  I just half smiled trying to figure out of I could keep up.  I couldn't, but, I thought as long as everyone was within eye sight, I would just keep on going.

     I got about a half mile from the water stop and I felt a little light headed and a little queesy.  So, I did what I hate to do.  I stopped and I walked.  I wasn't ashamed of doing so, because I knew that I had no choice.  My mind knew I needed a break, and so did my body.   I had already run just over 19 miles that day and the sun was not going away any time soon.  Plus, I walk fast so there's that.  I did catch up to another runner from our group who also needed to stop so we kept each other company for about a mile.  I'm glad I chose to stop and walk because after that 15 minute walk I was feeling better and figured I could tough it out to the end.  So with the energy I had left, I picked up my pace knowing that the end was near (and so was the shade.)  And, just like that, I was done.

    Thank.....GOD!

Photo Credit: Coach Suzanne
     It was over.  I was beat, but I was happy.  So was everyone else.  There were plenty of high fives to go around after that run.  There were also plenty of mimosas courtesy of our run coach Suzanne, and Coach Betsy brought us Easter Candy.  (They do say you should be sure to get enough protein back in your body within 45 minutes after you work out.  Peanut butter has protein.  Reece's Easter Eggs have peanut butter.  'Nuff said.)  We earned every bit of every treat that day, including those milkshakes.  Come May 7th, we'll earn those finisher medals.

     Let the tapering begin.

     Until next time, keep on running Pittsburgh.

     Sinceriously,

     Chuck Hull,      The Running Jedi


PS - There is still time to donate to the Mario Lemieux foundation.  Only $45 away from the half way mark, and only $1295 from the over all goal for our fourth and final charity run.  Once $2500 is raised, I'll be able to raffle off a signed Mario Lemieux Jersey.

https://www.crowdrise.com/MarioLemieuxPitt2017/fundraiser/chuckhull

No comments:

Post a Comment