Sunday, March 3, 2019

26 Miles, 26 Dedications - Chapter 5


     We're two months into our marathon training, and everyone seems to be doing quite well.  The normal pangs and worries are there for everyone, myself included.  After running the Spring Thaw 20 Miler I began to question my sanity like I always do.  "Am I really doing this again?  Why do I keep doing this to my body?  Seriously, what is wrong with me?"  Of course as with all questions, there are always answers.  "Yes, I really am doing this again.  Because I actually enjoy doing this or I'm just stupid.  Nothing is wrong with me because you're not just running for you...you're running for so much more."

     This year's Pittsburgh Marathon will be my 4th in the greatest city on the planet, and my fifth overall.  I'm not sure why I finally decided to run a marathon, but I do know why I decided to run for charity, and why I keep on doing so.  It's been very apparent that life is short, no matter how many years we may live, and maybe more so now to me than it ever had been before.  We only  get one crack at it, and over the course of our lives we'll make a lot of choices.  Some of those choice will of course be mistakes, but that's a part of being human.  It's also how we learn and how we grow.  I've made my share of mistakes; we all have.  But, I've also made more than enough good choices and those far outweigh the bad ones.  One of my favorite choices is when I decided to dedicate my miles for the marathons I've run.

Allen and I this past summer.
Styln' and profilin'

Mile 1 - Donna Koffler, Lou Majetic, and Cy Clark.  Again, you'll always have a mile dedicated to you, and that will never change.

Mile 2 - Allen Hunter and Morgan Davis.  My niece and nephew.  Wow.  You two are both graduating this year, and shortly after I run this year's marathon.  Words cannot express how proud of you I am,  and I'm sure you both already know that.  (And even though you love the Patriots Allen, you still get a mile.)

Morgan and her cool uncle.
Mile 3- Marissa Trouerbach, Rebecca Shearer, and Bentley Diaz.  These are three of the remarkable kids that we have been blessed to have met when Wheels, Wings, and Wishes was created.  No matter what life had given them, they have met everything head on and will not back down.  These are some of the strongest kids I have ever met, and I want this mile to go to them.

Rock on Marissa!

Rebecca having a blast at Wheels, Wings, and Wishes

Mile 4 - Debbie Chernik and Janet Zvaleny.   Debbie is the mother of a girl I went to school with, Kymie.  Kymie and I went to the same elementary school, and she and her husband help us out every year with Wheels Wings, and Wishes.  Janet is the mother of another woman I went to school with, Janice.  Like Kymie above, we went to grade school together all the way through graduation.  This mile is for both of their moms.

Mile 5 - Michael Taylor.    Michael is a friend of my nephew Allen.  I've not met Michael, but he had been thrown a curve ball recently so I wanted to honor him with this mile.

Mile 6 - Jordan Curry of the Mario Lemieux Foundation.  Jordan is my go to contact at the Foundation and has been an immense help with my past fundraisers.  I appreciate everything she has helped me with the past few years, and since there are two sixes in Le Magnifique's number, she's getting one of them with mile 6.

Mile 7 -  Blake Miller.  Blake is the son of our friend and Bryan's old roommate Todd.  Gone too soon, and at peace now.   RIP Blake, and mile 7 is for you.

Mile 8 - James Magovern.  James is coach Betsy's husband.  He had passed away just short of 12 years ago after a three and a half year fight with kidney cancer.  Betsy told me how much he loved to run last year, and has told us all many stories when we run and pace the "perfect 10s."  Mile 8 will be in his memory.

Mile 9 - Sam Ditullio.  Sam is the brother-in-law to my Aunt Lou Mazer (mom's side, but no relation to Sam.)  I'm truly sorry for that side of your family's loss Aunt Lou.   Sam gets mile 9

Mile 10 - Hannah Youngworth.  My God Daughter, and lover of all clowns.  Seriously, clowns are her favorite thing!  Man has time gone by there as well.  When did you turn into such a bright, smart, young woman?  It had to have been well after that Mad Dog 20/20 and box wine fiasco your freshman year of college.  Anyhow, you've have been doing some pretty amazing things the last couple of years, and you just took a HUGE step in moving to Jacksonville, FL, today in fact.  I wish you luck, and be sure while you live there, you pick on Morgan as much as you can for me.  She'll understand.

Mile 11 - The Tree Of Life Synagogue victims.  We should not remember the name of the person who was responsible for this tragedy, and should only remember the names of the 11 people that had been taken from their friends and families.  Their names are in the picture you see below, and when I hit mile marker 10, I'll remember that the next mile I'll be running is for each and every one of them.

Mile 12 - Amy Egan.  This is it Amy.  This is the spot where you have decided you're turning right up Forbes instead of turning left and heading back into the city.  There is no turning back, now.  I've made it up this hill quite a few times, now, and this being your first marathon I know you'll make it up that hill, too.  I'm proud of you. (And not, this is not my fault.  I didn't make you sign up for this!)

Mile 13 - April and Tom Hanahan.  What you two are doing for your daughter Kelsey is so inspiring.  52 miles for her 52 weeks of chemo.  No matter how much she has been through in the short time I've known you two, she NEVER...STOPS....SMILING!  And here you both are at mile 13...and mile 26 between the two of you.  You can't stop now, and I know you won't either, because you both have another 13.2 before you see your baby girls smiling face at the finish line.  If you need a beer, I'll tell Bryan to have a couple waiting for you at the finish.  Just don't drink mine, OK?

April, Tom, and Kelsey
Mile 14 - Robert Stiffler.  Robert is the brother of another friend, Jamie.  Robert had suffered sever burns in a house fire, and has had a long road of recovery.  He's actually kicking so much arse that his long road of recovery seems like it may be a short road.  I wish you all the best while you heal from your injuries, but the picture Jamie shared of you this week shows the face of a man that could not be beat.  God Bless.

Mile 15 - Robert Novack, Beverly Thornton, and Everlee Stevens.  Robert is my old shipmate Paul Key's step father for the past 24 years.  He had recently passed and I wanted to honor his memory for Paul.  Beverly is the mother of another of our shipmates, Katie.  Everlee is the grand daughter of our shipmate Mark Stevens.  I would also like to include her in this mile for Mark, his son, and their family.  May all three of these angels watch over us for mile 15.

Mile 16 - Natalia Grace Hill.  Natalia has just come into the word and is only a few weeks old!  She also happens to be the first born daughter of my friends Simon and Amber Hill.  She's 1000x adorable.  This mile is for that little bundle of joy.

Coach Suzanne and her mom, Angeline

Mile 17 - Angeline Clark.  Angeline is the mother of one of my running coaches, Suzanne Natter.  I know she'll be watching over coach when she is in Boston.  I'd like to honor her with mile 17.

Mile 18 - Suzanne Natter.  Go get 'em in Boston this year, Coach.  You've earned it.  I cannot wait to watch you finish.

Mile 19 - Alan Burns.  Alan is the brother of my good friend Mike, and passed away almost 8 years ago.  He will always be remembered and loved, and mile 19 is for him.

Alan Burns

Mile 20 - Irene Ewing and James Orman,  Irene is the mother of one of my old Circuit City managers, Charlie Ewing.  James is the father of his wife Val.  I wanted to honor their memories here with mile 20.

Mike and his mother, Nancy
Mile 21 - Nancy Hluben,  Nancy is the mother of my friend Mike who I have known since I was 16.  Near and dear to Mike and Dawn, and the rest of Mike's family, I know she is greatly missed.  May she RIP.  Mile 21 is for her.

Mile 22 - Roberta "Bobo" Morrow.  My coworker Cathy had lost her father last year, and I was able to dedicate a mile in his memory.  Shortly after the marathon last year, she soon lost her mother.  I'm truly sorry for your loss Cathy.  Mile 22 is in her memory.

Mile 23 - William Gardell.  Those of us in Pittsburgh may already know that William is the father of one of this city's favorite sons, Billy.  Billy did a cool thing and called my folks to wish them a happy 50th anniversary.  I'd like to return the favor by honoring his father for mile 23.  RIP Mr. Gardell.

Mile 24 - Lee Ann Shultz and Melissa Jacobie Pickler.  Lee Ann is the sorority sister of one of my close friends, Carie Young.  She was taken from us far too soon, and I know how much she meant to Carie.  Melissa is the friend of another friend, Christine Hess.  Christine had reached out to me after we found out about our friend Phil, and told me about her friend.  I've never had the pleasure of meeting these two ladies, but I again I know how much they meant to you both.  May they RIP.

Mile 25 - Phil Tallentire.  Phil, I don't know what to say except that I know how much you meant to everyone.  You were family to Bonnie, Bobby, Jason, Lainie, Eric (E), and so many others.  You are and will always be missed.  Until we meet again, I'll continue to hide all the hard boiled eggs in Lainie's hoddie.

Ridiculousness at a Pens game with Bernie
Mile 26, and the last .2 - Bernie Augier.  It's been a few weeks now Bernie, and it doesn't seem real.  Not one bit.  Again I gotta fight back the tears as I type this because man you mean so much to so many of us, but not more so than to your mom and dad.  We can all hear your voice and hear you laugh.  We can all still see your smile.  I'm really going to miss you, brother.  When I get to mile marker 25, I'm going to be so tired.  But because the last 1.2 is for you, I'm going to do what ever I can to pick up my feet and just take off as fast as I can.  I don't care how much I hurt.  I'm going to do it.  Bryan is going to hand me a beer, like he always does, but this one is going to have your name on it.  He's going to hand me a shot of Jager, too, and even if it makes me hurl...it's for you.   I love you man.  Watch over us.

     I don't know how many more of these marathons I have in me.  I truly enjoy being able to complete one, but more so because of reasons like you see above.  But, whenever that time may be it does not mean I'm going to stop.  It just means I'm going to run shorter distances.  And no matter the distance I run, each and every step I take will mean something.  It will mean something to not only me, but to someone else, too.  It has to.  Like I said, life is short  Let's make it mean something.  Let's make every step count.

Until next time Pittsburgh.....keep on running.  I'll see you at the finish line.

Sinceriously,

Chuck Hull, The Running Jedi.



PS - Don't forget we have a ton of prizes to raffle off to those that have donate to the Mario Lemieux Foundation this year, and anyone that donates is eligible.  All you have to do is click the link.  Once we hit $2500 raised, this year's marathon will be run in a dress.  Yup.

https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/mario-lemieux-foundation-pittsburgh-marathon-2019/chuckhull


Coach and I at Spring Thaw
Morgan, her Boyfriend Zach, and I
        
   


           

No comments:

Post a Comment