Wednesday, February 24, 2016

16 Miles....and finally Bolieving (Not a Typo)

     To quote the WWE's Bo Dallas, "You have got to BOLIEVE!"

     I'm beginning to do just that.  This past week and weekend my runs went a little off schedule.  It's still busy at work and I needed two days rest after the previous week's 14 miles.  I ended up running last Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.   Saturday was the day for the long run, but I planned on doing my 16 miles on Sunday instead.   My best friend's little girl turned one last week and Saturday was the party (it was a breakfast themed!  Super tasty.)  There was a snag that day, however.  It was unseasonably AWESOME outside here in the 'burgh! Temperatures were close to 70 degrees.  In February.  That is just plain crazy.  I had to fight the urge to run because I knew I needed a day's rest before punching in 16 miles.  My girlfriend was able to put in 6 miles for her half marathon training and I was a little jealous of that.  I really did want to run.  She did awesome and felt awesome afterwords.  I knew I'd have my day in the sun, too, and knowing she was feeling great made me feel great as well.

     I kept checking the weather all day and all I kept seeing was rain.  I was going to have no choice but to run in the rain with the treadmill being still broken.  Hours later, that changed.  NO RAIN! It was also going to be 48 and cloudy, but I'll take it!

     I was a little worried yet again because 16 miles just seemed so far. Sure I did 14 just a week ago, but it really kicked my behind.  However, when you get a text from your girlfriend first thing in the morning (when she should be sleeping in) that says "have a good run. You got this," you start to feel like you do.

     I got to the SCRR garage to meet the group and as I went to put my gloves on, one looked like this:

I guess is my gloves are ready to rock, I should be, too.
     There were not a lot of people at the garage.  I saw maybe 30 that were there for the group run.   I decided to play it safe and drop my pace from the 9:30 minute mile down to the 10:00 minute mile.   I ended up running with 5 other guys and that was all we had.  When 5 guys are running across the Smithfield Street Brige singing out load to Hall And Oate's "Kiss Is On My List" rather loudly, you know you're in for a good run.  (Yes, that is a song on my play list, and it comes on when I run.  Does anyone have a problem with that?  I didn't think so.)  This breaking out into random chorus happened quite a few times, and it just added to the fun of the morning's run.

Me in the green.  Photo courtesy of Dave Spell at SCRR.

     At about 10 miles in, I didn't feel tired at all.   I knew that if I dropped my pace down that my body would react better to it, and I was right.  We got back to the garage at 14 miles and I still felt great!  The gentlemen I was running with were meeting up with someone else, but I didn't want to stop.  I kept going along the north shore and when my watch went off at the 15 mile mark, I still felt great.   At that point, a huge smile broke across my face.  I kid you not, that last mile I smiled the entire time.  I was about to do this!  I was about to finish a 16 mile run, and I still felt great.  I didn't feel tired. I was still smiling.  My watch then went off again.  I stopped.  I reacted.


The face of a 43 year old man who just did something he never would have even thought about 20 years ago.
    
     I had to take a minute and just enjoy what I had just done.  Running 16 miles seemed like a stretch, but it was now a reality.  I felt pretty proud of myself.  I was standing tall.   To top it off, the day itself turned out to be another beautiful one.   The guys I was originally running with made their way back down to where I was, so I ended up joining them for one more mile to cap off the day. I now had 17 miles under my belt.  But, I didn't do that without taking advantage of being on the North Shore and snapping a few pictures.  This is Pittsburgh and it not only shines at night, but shines on a beautiful, sunny day.






     That's about all I have for this week.   I truly appreciate all of you taking the time out of your night or day by reading what I've talked about.  I do.   This past weekend has made me realize that this 26.2 miles on May 1st is something I can really accomplish completing.  I've been scared of it up to this point.  I'm not scared anymore.  I believe I can do it.  I bolieve  can do it.   Bring it.  Game on Pittsburgh.

The real reason I was able to run 17 miles: I'm Batman.


Sinceriously Yours,

Chuck Hull, The Running Jedi

#gameonpgh #runpgh #26mles26dedications

PS: Don't forget, I'm still raising money for the Mario Lemieux Foundation.  All it takes is to skip lunch for one day.

If we can get to $500.00 by the end of the next two weeks, I'll raffle off a couple gift cards.

If we can get to $1000.00 raised by March 15th, I'll raffle off an authentic Mario Lemieux autographed puck, with a certificate of authenticity.
Picture Proof.

click here to donate: https://www.crowdrise.com/lemieuxpittsburgh2016/fundraiser/chuckhull

No comments:

Post a Comment