Monday, February 8, 2016

Seeing and Smelling PGH

     Well, work has been very busy and I haven't had as much time as I'd like to get a posting in.  However, I found a little time to do just that today.  Training is still going full swing and I'm still feeling pretty good every time I run.

There are so many great places in this city to run.  Most of the time, when I'm by myself, I default to running around Neville Island and Coraopolis.   I enjoy running fun laps around Carnegie when I'm running with my girlfriend.  But, most of all, she and I agree that running throughout the city it just something else.   Pittsburgh is an incredible city.  There are plenty of fantastic views at every corner.  The people are amazing.  There is just something about the way you feel when youu are running around your home town, especially on a nice sunny day.

One of the last group runs with SCRR had us taking on part of the marathon course though the north side.   When you are running in the city, or anywhere for that matter, and you are running very early in the morning, you notice a lot of smells.  Not really the bad ones (and there some) but mostly the good ones.  We're talking about the smells coming from businesses that are open for breakfast.   A good old fashion mom and pop shop with the morning grill fired up.  I can always smell fresh bacon, pancakes, etc. make it hard to keep going because everything smells so good!  All those wonderful scents tend to make me so hungry!  My mouth waters and by the time I'm done, it's time to feast.

When I'm running around at night the smells are not as great, unless you're running by a burger joint of pizza shop.  However, in the winter, it's the smell of a fresh fireplace that seems to soothe my soul a little bit.  It brings back fond memories of camping as a boy scout, or hanging out with friends at a bon fire as an adult.  I love that kind of smell.   It makes me feel as though there is some sort of peace and tranquility in the air.

Aside from the smells, the scenery is also something to behold.  When you are driving around town, or even where you are from, you mostly notice nothing but the traffic.   I mean, you sort of have to pay attention to that when you're driving anyway.  You really don't have time to look around.  When you are running, you have nothing but time, just as long as you still keep your eyes ahead of you for the most part so that you know where you are going.  You tend to notice places that you've never seen before.   Places where you might want to grab a bit to eat sometime.  Places where you may want to just kick back and relax.  Even a spot to take a 5 minute rest on a long run, and just take in everything around you.

The sights and smells are just a few of the things that make me really enjoy running.  Running does keep me grounded and keep me calm, but being able to use all of my senses while I'm running I feel is something pretty special.  Knowing that I can share things with everyone in this blog based on my being able to notice things around me makes me appreciate those things just a little more.

So, that's what I'm going to do today.  Share some pics of where I run.  Nothing fancy really, but just a few that I took.   It's OK to stop and take a picture now and again when you run.  After all, a picture is worth a 1000 words, or, for a runner, a 1000 steps.

Sinceriously Yours,

Chuck Hull, the running Jedi (still being true to my nature here.. haha)

#runpgh #gameonpgh #26miles26dedications

PS: Please if you can spare $10.00, donate to my marathon fundraiser.  My goal is to raise $1600.  If I reach that goal, I'll be able to raffle off a signed Mario Lemieux Jersey to one lucky person who has donated to the cause.  I'm a long way off.  Only at $125.00 now.  If I can reach $350 by Valentine's day, I'll raffle off a $25.00 gift card to one lucky person.   If I reach $500.00, I'll raffle off two.   Let's do this!

https://www.crowdrise.com/lemieuxpittsburgh2016/fundraiser/chuckhull

And now...some pics!



The frozen Ohio River from the Coraopolis/Neville Island bridge.



The crick running through Carnegie. Looks cold!



Getting ready to take Carothers in Carnegie and Scott Twp.



Empty tracks running through Carnegie



Something about the way the city reflects off the calm waters of the Allegheny River at night from the North Shore trail.



I had to take two pics.  This one is just amazing.



Downtown Coraopolis at Christmas reminded me of Sonic The Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment