Friday, April 29, 2016

The time is upon us...good luck to all.



    How else could I start today's entry?   A Rocky video just seemed to fit the occasion.  The Pittsburgh Marathon is now only 2 days away.   I still feel somewhat calm.  I'm relaxing my mind.  But, at the same time, I'm getting a bit excited.

     I really do mean it when I say that if I asked myself 20 years ago if I ever thought I'd run a marathon, I'd probably just laugh at myself and think, "yeah right."   When I ran my first half Marathon in 2013, I thought at the end and even more so for the last two miles that yeah, 13.1 miles was perfect for me.  I didn't need to run anything longer than that.   My second and third one were in 2014 and I still had the same thoughts.   Last year however, those thoughts really did change.


     I thought to myself, could I do it?  I mean, I never thought I could run a half marathon before, but now I've done it four times.  What else could I do to challenge myself? What else was I capable of doing?  I talked to my best friends about it and they of course agreed that there was nothing I couldn't do.  And then, it was decided.  Not even a full four hours after I crossed the finish line last year, I decided I was going for the full marathon in 2016.  And now, here we all are, two days away from testing myself like I've never tested myself before.


      I've been all over the world in the Navy.  I've went 4 wheeling in the deserts of Dubai.  I've jumped willingly out of a perfectly good airplane. But, this was something different.  Anyone could do those other things.  Not everyone can run a full marathon.   Me?  I really think I can do it.  It will be my first.  It will be the first for so many others.  There are also so many other runner that are attempting their very first half marathon.


   
     When I joined the Steel City Road Runners group, I did it to be properly trained.  However, I ended up meeting a lot of those first timers.  I've heard so many fascinating stories from people I did not know.   The experience was absolutely fantastic.  The best part?  We all  had the same goals when we set out to do this.  It's not about our time.  It's not about a PR.  It's about the run.  It's about crossing the finish line.  It's about the experience and the rush of the entire city of Pittsburgh coming out of all corners to cheer us on.   It's exciting.  It's adrenaline pumping.  It's humbling.

What do you mean I just signed up to run a full marathon????

     I look back on my training and think about how not only I, but how we all got here.  I've logged in 507.86 miles to get to this point.  There's no turning back now.  Hell, why would I?  I've got nothing to fear.  I've done the training.  I trust in that training.  I know I can do this.  I'm not the only one.

Coach Suzanne's "kids", we're gonna do this.


Montour Track people, we're gonna do this. (Stole your pic coach.)


Chad and Steph: We're gonna do this.


Sara and Amy, we're gonna do this.

Kirsten, we're gonna do this (and you for the 2nd time!)


Marty, we're gonna do this. (stole your pic Marty.)




Maybe I'll wear this?  Eh, maybe not. It just may get too hot.  But hey, I still look good in uniform if I do say so myself. #gonavy


I'm definately not wearing this. #tooshort #80style





I'll just have to remember to not look like this when finally crossing that finish line.  I hope none of you look like that either! #NotTinkling
And like I said, we're all going to do this, and it's because of each other, and people like our coaches and trainers.  I know I can't thank Coach Betsy Magovern and Coach Suzanne Natter well as Coach Kim Lambert (don't have a pic Kim, sorry.)  You ladies have taught me a lot and I thank you for that.




So hey Pittsburgh?  In two days we have a message for you: Just bring it. #gameonpgh  Good luck everyone in the Steel City, from SCRR to the Cupid Undie Runners, to everyone from all over the country.  We're gonna do this.



Until after the marathon folks, keep on running.


Sinceriously Yours,

Chuck Hull.....The Running Jedi

#26miles#26dedications #runpgh #gameonpgh #pittsburghmarathon #steelcityroadrunners #lovetherun

PS: STILL TIME TO DONATE! Only $350 away from $2500 raised!   Any little bit helps! Click the link to donate and be entered to win a signed Mario Lemieux Jersey!

https://www.crowdrise.com/LemieuxPittsburgh2016/fundraiser/chuckhull



No comments:

Post a Comment