Monday, January 18, 2016

Running for a Reason: 26 miles, 26 dedications

                Why do I run?  That’s a really good question.  When I first started at running all I could think to myself is, “dude, really?”  As a person who has never really been that athletic, asking me this question in my head time and time again never really seemed to get answered.

                At first, I remembered that I was in pretty decent shape when I was in the Navy.  Sure, I was 21, but still I felt pretty fit and even felt handsome and attractive.  However, I’ve not always felt that way.  When I originally signed up to join the Navy, I was 185 pounds and pretty husky.  I had a 38 inch waist and most of my shirts were extra-large.  Of course, that all changed and they whipped me into shape.  When I got out in 1997, I was 155 pounds and had a 32 inch waist.  I tried to keep up with the exercise.  I ran the Great Race as soon as I got home, and two years later I ran a 20k in Wheeling.  After that…I did nothing.  I got lazy. I got bored.  I was working. I was going to travel school.  But, mostly, what it really seemed like I had were excuses.

                But, something changed in me back in 2012.  I had gone up and down in weight over the years, but I wanted to do something about it.  Something in my brain said I wanted to get back to Navy shape. Something else said I just needed to be more conscientious of my health.  So, with some encouragement, I signed up for a 5k.  I trained.  I ran.  I walked.  I finished.  I enjoyed it.  I really, really enjoyed it!  That was an amazing feeling!  After crossing that finish line I felt that as long as there was a race, I could run it.

                And run races I did. 

Everyone on my Facebook page has seen plenty of pictures and plenty of posts of me running.  However, the one thing that wasn’t changing was the reason why I was running.  Sure, I liked to run, but was that the only reason to run?  I soon found out it wasn’t.

                Two years ago as you all know, I decided to run for charity when I signed up to run my third half marathon.   I had already run two, but this time I was running with a purpose.   There were more than enough charities to choose from, but I chose The Mario Lemieux Foundation.  I cannot tell you all how awesome that was to raise the money we did that year.  $5800 plus? Are you kidding me?  My mind was blown!   I had a lot of help of course, and I could never have done it without that help.   I also learned a few things.  

1.       It is such a rewarding experience to raise money for charity.  This is something I’ve never done before.
2.       I do not look good in dress.   I shouldn’t anyway.

All fun aside, I was not sure if I would do it again or if I would even reach those heights a second time fundraising.  Last year however, I decided I should do it again anyway.  The second year we managed to raise over $2500, and I could not have been prouder.  So much money was raised for such a great charity in two years.  But, would I do it a third time?

When I decided to do my first full marathon, I felt I would not have the time to focus on anything else but training.  The more I thought about it, the more I felt I was just being selfish.  I mean sure, I do have to focus on training and that should be my priority, but for that to be the only reason why I don’t raise money for charity a third year is just silly.  It’s also nothing more than another excuse.  So, with that thought in my head, I signed up to raise money for the Mario Lemieux Foundation for a third year in a row.  The goal is not as high as the previous years, but maybe, just maybe, we can find a way to have another successful campaign.

Now, with that being said, that’s really not the only reason I’m running.   When choosing to run the 5k, the Half Marathon, The Full Marathon, and even the Marathon Relay, the race organizers do a great job of promoting the charity option and to “run for a reason.”  There are so many wonderful charities to run for, and of course I chose mine.  However, I have more than just that charity as being the reason I’m running the full marathon this year.  In fact, I have 26 reasons.

I’ve hash tagged “#26miles26dedications” a lot recently, and it’s because I truly am going to dedicate this race 26 different ways.  I’m going to dedicate each mile to 26 different people or groups of people.  I truly mean that.  I’m 43 years old and I’ve gone through some experiences in my life, but so has everyone else.   I’ve been touched emotionally by a lot of you, in nothing but positive ways.   I couldn’t thank everyone enough for that.  We see so many bad stories every day on the news.  It’s never ending.  We see a lot of bad things on social media as well, not only in things that are posted and shared, but also in people’s comments.   However, I still feel there is more good than bad out there.  I want to be one of those things.  I want to be able to make you all feel as wonderful and positive, as hopeful and happy, as you make me feel on a daily basis.

I already have a good idea of how these dedications will pan out and who they will be directed towards.  I was originally going to blog each week on a dedication.  But, I have so many stories to tell that I’ve chosen to reveal all of my dedications at once and on a separate blog.  That blog will come close to race day. 

We’ll catch up on week one of training later this week, but for now, just please continue on this journey with me.  I think it’s going to be a fun run.

Sinceriously yours,

Chuck


#RunRinseRepeat, #26point2forTeamLemieux #26miles26dedications


No comments:

Post a Comment