Monday, January 25, 2016

Juno What?

        This weekend finished off my first two weeks of training.  So far, it has gone really well.  Honestly, the schedule seems a little bit along the lines of what I am already used to doing.   However, I do have to make sure I give myself at least two days rest.  Sometimes, that's tough.   There are days where I feel I really need, and feel that I really can get out there and put in maybe four to six, or even seven miles.  Sounds crazy to most people, but most people hate running.   I thought I did, at least until I started.

About a little over a month ago, I joined the Steel City Road Runners group.  You can always find them at packet pick up for a lot of the city's big races (The Great Race, The 10 Miler, The Marathon, etc.)  They seemed like a very encouraging group, and one that won't leave any man or woman behind.  I liked that.  I heard one of the perks of joining the group was that you can get training for things like the marathon and the half marathon.  Since this is my first crack at running a full marathon, I thought I would take advantage of joining.

They offer group runs a few times a week.  I haven't been able to take advantage of the Tuesday or Thursday runs, but due to sometimes getting stuck at work, this is OK.   I can just come home, and do my thing around Neville Island and Coraopolis.   The group runs on Saturday I seem to be able to take advantage of the most.   These runs tend to be longer, but it does require me to get up early.  Yeah.  Early.  On a Saturday.  Saturdays I like sleeping in.  But now, I gotta get up early?  I know.  Boo hoo, right?  Most of you always get up early on Saturdays.  Most of you have kids so I know, I am barking up the wrong tree!  I apologize in advance for my nonexistent pain.  I'll suck it up and be a better runner for it.

The groups runs are not too bad since they offer pace groups for every type of runner, so you can get out there with experienced runners, and maybe learn some new things.  This past weekend, my schedule had me down for 12 miles.  I know I've done that many times, so it shouldn't be any problem at all.  Just another day of training.  But, the past couple of weeks have been cold

The cold doesn't bother me too much.  I love the winter time and I love the cold. (Most of the time anyway.)  Some days were colder than others, but I had no problem throwing on an extra layer of clothes to bundle and keep warm.  More importantly, I made sure to keep safe.  I was good to go and ready for the weekend and ready for my 12 miles.

That is at least until Juno paid the East Coast a visit.

I honestly was peeved by this.  I'm the type of guy that is a kid at heart. I love the snow.  I know, much like running, most of you hate it (that is of course unless you ski.)   There is just something about the snow that just makes everything seem so peaceful.  At this moment in time, I was feeling the exactly opposite about the snow.  There was no love here at all.  The group runs were cancelled, and rightfully so.  I mean, Pittsburgh was getting up to 6 inches of snow in most areas throughout the night.  (The rest of the east was not getting so lucky.)  I didn't care though.  Nothing was going to keep me from my run on Saturday.   I wouldn't normally make a big deal about it, but my treadmill broke and I'm trying to fix it.  So yeah, I needed to get out there and I needed to run.  I also needed a new pair of shoes.  Minor details.

I putzed around about as much as I could Saturday before I finally go out there and ran.  It actually seemed like a pretty productive day (except for that wasted trip to the Nike store at the Tanger Outlets which were closed for the day.  Wimps.)  I still did get some new running shoes, some new Jeans (up to two pairs that fit,) a haircut, and  then finally made it home.  I ended up doing more than I originally had planned.  It seemed like my mind was trying to make excuses of why not to run.  There is snow; it's cold; it's now 4:30pm.  However, on the drive home, it looked like most of the sidewalks were clean in my area so I laced em up and headed out the door.

Man was I wrong about most of the sidewalks!  Sure there were moments of clarity in spots, but not so much in others.   I knew it was hard to run in the snow, but it was a lot harder than I thought.  I found my legs working muscles that I normally wouldn't work.  6 miles in and I was already exhausted and ready to call it a day.  Unfortunately, I was still about 3 miles from home.  So again, I sucked it up and kept going.   I added distance by running up and down the side roads between fourth and fifth avenue in Coraopolis.  I got to my aunt's place and saw my uncle Micky finishing up shovelling the walk.  Of course, me being the "funny" guy I said, "I guess you knew I was coming, huh?"  His prompt reply was " you better be careful!"  I told him I'm always careful....and then immediately almost wiped out.   He jinxed me.  Jag.

Anyhow, I got back down to the island to add some mileage through the RMU Ice Complex.   I hit the 10 mile mark, and I had to stop.   I needed a refill on my water and I really needed to rest for a few minutes.  I took about 5 minutes to catch my breath but mostly to make sure I could keep going.  I still had two miles left.  I was pretty sore, but I fought through it.  Juno tried to beat me, but I beat him.

Sunday is a day that our couch would like us to run three or four mile so that we get used to running on tired legs.  I joined up with my girlfriend for this one.  It was so much nicer to have that kind of company on such a snowy run.  These four miles were just as tough as the day before.  There was more snow.  There was more ice.   There were more muscles being used that I don't remember using before.  We both got through this one, and we both agree that running in the snow is not fun at all.  But, it doesn't mean we won't do it again.

And now, it's Monday.  It was also about 45 degrees out today.  Most of the snow is already gone.  Gee, thanks weird Pittsburgh weather.

Until next time....keep running, and keep safe.

Sinceriously,

Chuck Hull, The Running Jedi.  (I'm a dork, I know, but I don't care.)

Don't forget to donate to the Mario Lemieux Foundation!

https://www.crowdrise.com/lemieuxpittsburgh2016/fundraiser/chuckhull

No comments:

Post a Comment